Trucks are the most dangerous vehicle on the road, as they are the largest and heaviest. It is because of this that serious accidents can happen if those who operate the vehicles do not do so carefully. These accidents can be life-threatening and cause severe injuries as a result. Individuals who suffer from injuries as a result of a truck accident can pursue legal action to recover compensation with the assistance of a New York personal injury attorney.
What are Causes of Truck Accidents?
In New York, a truck accident can be caused in many different ways, including the following:
- Poor judgement: Accidents can be caused if a driver speeds, drives recklessly, changes lanes improperly, makes a dangerous turn, follows others too closely, and more.
- Distracted driving: Drivers who do not give their full attention may not be able to slow down or stop the vehicle in time to prevent an accident.
- Impaired driving: When an accident happens because a truck driver is under the influence, drowsy, or suffers from a medical condition while driving.
- Vehicle malfunction: When a truck has a defective part and malfunctions on the road.
- Poor conditions: If a road is not maintained or there is poor weather, accidents can happen.
How do I Pursue Legal Action?
The victim of a truck accident can pursue legal action after the fact in order to try and recover compensation for the damages they incurred. This can be done by filing a personal injury claim. During this time, they are required to prove negligence with evidence that shows the party in question engaged in behavior that directly caused their injuries. The negligent party may not always be the truck driver, but sometimes a third-party. Evidence that can help back up a claim can include medical records, a police report from the accident, pictures or video of the scene, witness testimonies, and more.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.