Stairwell accidents can have severe consequences. If you have been injured in one, it is in your best interest to reach out to one of our experienced New York personal injury attorneys at The Law Offices of George Poulos to discuss the specifics of your case.
How do stairwell accidents happen in New York?
Stairwell accidents can happen for a variety of reasons. However, one of the most common causes is property owner negligence. A property owner has a duty to ensure that their premises are safe. If a property owner fails this obligation, someone can be injured as a result. Some common causes of stairwell accidents include the following:
- Insufficiently lit stairwells
- Damaged stairs
- Uneven spacing between steps
- Defective or broken railings
- Lack of security
What steps should I take if I have been injured in a stairwell?
If you were injured in a staircase accident and would like to pursue legal action, it is critical that you obtain as much evidence as possible to increase the chances of winning compensation. If you are able, take these steps following your accident:
- Call 911 – the police will file an accident report and dispatch an ambulance to the scene of the accident.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident and be sure to include the dangerous conditions that caused the accident in addition to the injuries you sustained as a result.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses to the scene of the accident. They may be able to verify your version of the events.
- Seek medical attention and make sure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for medical documentation that leads to the origin and severity of your injuries. This will be important supporting evidence in your future personal injury claim.
- Retain the services of an experienced New York personal injury attorney to help you obtain more evidence that can improve your legal claim. An attorney will also be able to walk you through the claims process and ensure you are meeting all of the important deadlines.
How long do I have to file my claim?
Personal injury claims are time-pressing, which is why you cannot wait to get started on your claim as soon as possible. New York has a statute of limitations of three years for most personal injury claims. This means that if you fail to file your personal injury claim within three years from the date of your stairwell accident, you will lose the chance to obtain the compensation that you deserve.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.