Truck accidents can cause serious injury and financial burdens to those affected. If you were hurt in one as a result of a driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. Reach out to our firm today and speak with a dedicated car accident lawyer in Queens.
What are the common causes of truck accidents in New York?
Truck accidents can happen in a number of different ways. In some cases, they can occur as a result of vehicle malfunction or poor road and/or weather conditions. However, in most cases, truck accidents occur because of driver negligence. Some examples of truck driver negligence include and are not limited to, the following:
- Distracted driving: In the event that a truck driver is unable to provide their full attention, they may not be able to slow down or stop the vehicle in time to prevent an accident.
- Impaired driving: This refers to when an accident occurs because a truck driver is under the influence, drowsy, or suffers from a medical condition while driving.
- Poor judgment: In this case, accidents can be caused if a driver speeds, drives recklessly, changes lanes improperly, makes a dangerous turn, follows others too closely, and more.
What steps should I take after a truck accident?
You may be entitled to financial compensation if you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident as a result of a negligent driver. If you would like to pursue legal action, there are several steps you must take before doing so, including:
- Call the police. The authorities can dispatch an ambulance and file an accident report.
- It is critical that you take plenty of photos and videos of the scene of the accident, ensuring that you capture any damage done to your car, the truck, and any other property involved.
- If anyone witnessed the accident occur, you will want to record their contact information. They may be able to confirm your story later on in the claims process.
- Seek medical attention to ensure that your injuries are properly treated by a medical professional while also obtaining documentation pointing to the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Retain the services of a skilled personal injury attorney. An experienced car accident lawyer in Queens may be able to collect further proof of negligence and make sure that you file your personal injury claim on time.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.