The Law Offices of George Poulos understands how overwhelming a workplace injury can be, especially one that prevents you from returning to work for some time. When these accidents happen, individuals and their families often worry about how they can continue to pay bills and stay afloat. Our firm is here. In fact, we have assisted those seeking workers’ compensation benefits in Astoria and throughout New York City for over 25 years, and we are ready to put that experience to work for you today. If you’ve been injured on the job, please continue reading and contact our seasoned Astoria workers’ compensation attorney today to learn about how our firm can guide you through every step of the claims process ahead.
The Law Offices of George Poulos can is well versed in answering all of your questions about workers’ compensation topics, including:
- What is Workers’ Compensation?
- Who is covered?
- Filing a claim
- Workers’ Compensation Benefits
- Disability Classifications
- Occupational Diseases
- Third Party Lawsuits
- Claim Disputes
Understanding Workers’ Compensation
The Law Offices of George Poulos can provide you with the following services after sustaining a workplace injury:
- Determining Whether You Have a Claim: We must first prove that you were injured on the job and that you qualify under New York State’s workers’ compensation laws.
- Determining Your Disability Classification: We will then have to examine your injury itself and the circumstances of that injury to determine whether its extent truly qualifies you to receive workers’ compensation benefits. We do this through critical doctor’s notes.
- Filing Your Claim: Filing workers’ compensation claims is not always easy, which is why it is so important that you hire an experienced Astoria workers’ compensation attorney who can ensure you have all the necessary documentation in order before filing, and then file your claim on your behalf.
- Handling Claim Disputes: Over the years, we have seen countless instances where insurance companies have denied individuals who’ve been injured on the job the workers’ compensation benefits to which they are truly entitled. This is because unfortunately, insurance companies are only businesses, and businesses, in many cases, are solely concerned about their bottom line. If you were recently denied workers’ compensation benefits in New York, you need an experienced attorney who can aggressively appeal that denial and prove that you require these benefits to move forward with your life.
- Filing Third-Party Lawsuits: If workers’ compensation benefits do not cover the entire cost of your injury, you are most likely wondering what the next step will be, if any. Fortunately, in many cases, we can file what is known as a third-party claim against a liable party that is not your employer. In these claims, we will generally sue parties such as independent contractors, product manufacturers/designers, property owners, and more.
What Should I Do After Sustaining an Injury in the Workplace?
After sustaining a workplace injury, you should take several steps to maximize your chances of winning your workers’ compensation claim. Doing so can help you greatly in the long run. Those steps are as follows:
- Notify your supervisor that the accident occurred. He or she should document the incident and call the police. If your supervisor does not then call the police for an ambulance, you should.
- Take pictures of the conditions that caused your accident.
- Ask anyone who saw your accident for their contact information so they may corroborate your claim at a later date if need be.
- Ensure that you receive immediate medical treatment. Doing so will help ensure that any serious injuries are tended to swiftly.
- Ask your physician for a copy of all medical documents/bills associated with your injuries, including the cost of surgeries, overnight stays, rehabilitation, and more.
- Retain the services of an experienced Astoria workers’ compensation attorney who can gather and present all additional evidence needed and help you submit your claim timely.
Statute of Limitations
Every state has a statute of limitations in place when it comes to filing workers’ compensation and third-party claims, so time is of the essence. There are times where those who have been injured will wait to see if their injuries heal on their own, as they do not want to get involved in the legal process. However, this is seldom a good idea, for if you wait too long and your injuries do not heal, there is a very good chance that you will lose your right to sue. The statute of limitations for third-party claims in New York State is, generally, three years, while the statute of limitations for workers’ compensation claims in New York is, generally, two years. We are ready to help you today.
Contact Our Experienced Astoria Workers’ Compensation Attorney
After an injury on the job, no one should have to fend for themselves. It is our firm’s goal to ensure that all those who’ve sustained workplace injuries in Astoria and throughout New York City recover the workers’ compensation benefits they need to pick up the pieces and move on with their lives. Whether you are looking to file a workers’ compensation claim or a third party claim, the time to act is now. Contact The Law Offices of George Poulos today so we can get started.