Here at The Law Offices of George Poulos, we have dedicated our practice to helping those who have been injured recover the compensation they need to get back on their feet again. Though we handle various personal injury claims, we have over 25 years of experience handling workers’ compensation claims in Harlem and throughout New York City. We understand that if you were injured on the job, there is nothing more important than recovering workers’ compensation benefits to help you heal. If you are someone who has recently sustained a workplace injury, you must continue reading and contact our experienced Harlem workers’ compensation attorney today to learn more about how our firm can help.
Our Legal Services
The Law Offices of George Poulos can provide you with the following answers to your questions after sustaining a workplace injury:
- What is Workers’ Compensation?
- Who is covered?
- Filing a claim
- Workers’ Compensation Benefits
- Disability Classifications
- Occupational Diseases
- Third Party Lawsuits
- Claim Disputes
Understanding Workers’ Compensation
- Workers’ Compensation: No matter where you work, there is a very good chance that your job poses some risk. Whether you work in an office or on a construction site, there is always a chance that something can go wrong. If you are injured on the job and are covered under the workers’ compensation laws in New York State, The Law Offices of George Poulos is here to help you through every step of the legal process ahead.
- Determining Whether You Have a Claim: After sustaining a workplace injury or developing a medical condition due to your job, the first thing you must do is determine whether you are covered under New York State’s workers’ compensation laws. This means that we will have to prove whether you were injured during work hours, the nature of your injury, and more.
- Determining Your Disability Classification: After determining whether you have a valid workers’ compensation claim, we will then have to determine your disability classification. This is done by seeking treatment from a medical professional who can assess the extent of your injury, and from there, our firm will work to clearly illustrate the extent of your injury to your insurance company to prove that you require workers’ compensation benefits.
- Filing Your Claim: As you can imagine, filing a workers’ compensation is oftentimes a complicated process, which is why it is so critical that you retain the services of an experienced Harlem workers’ compensation attorney who has handled countless claims in the past. Ensuring that you file your claim properly and in accordance with New York State’s workers’ compensation laws is the first part of the battle, and we are here to help.
- Handling Claim Disputes: Unfortunately, though perhaps unsurprisingly, many workers who’ve been injured on the job find themselves being wrongly denied workers’ compensation benefits, or at least being short-changed and being offered insufficient benefits. If you are currently facing a claim dispute, it is critical that you retain the services of an aggressive Harlem workers’ compensation attorney who can challenge the dispute and work to provide sufficient evidence to prove that you are entitled to workers’ compensation benefits.
- Filing Third-Party Lawsuits: If you find yourself in a situation where workers’ compensation benefits simply do not cover the extent of your injury, there is a very good chance that you may be entitled to compensation via a third-party claim. Essentially, a third-party claim is when you sue a liable third-party for your injury so you do not have to sue your employer directly. For example, if you were injured on a construction site due to a defective machine, our firm can sue the product designer/manufacturer for negligence in a third-party claim to help you recover the full compensation you deserve and need to heal.
Statute of Limitations
Every state has a statute of limitations in place when it comes to filing workers’ compensation and third-party claims. In most cases, the statute of limitations for third-party claims in New York State is, generally, three years, which means that you will have three years from the date of your accident to sue the liable party. That being said, the statute of limitations for workers’ compensation claims in New York is even shorter–in most cases, you will only have two years from the date of your accident to take legal action against the liable party. Time is of the essence, and the sooner you act, the better. Our Harlem workers’ compensation attorney is ready to help you through every step of the process today.
Contact Our Experienced Harlem Workers’ Compensation Attorney
The bottom line is that if you are someone who has been injured on the job, you must retain the services of an experienced Harlem workers’ compensation attorney immediately. We know how important it is for those who’ve been injured in the line of work to receive the compensation they need to heal, and we are ready to put our 25 years of experience to work for you. Contact The Law Offices of George Poulos today so we can get started.