Follow along to discover the significant role that prompt medical attention will play in your personal injury claim and how one of the seasoned Queens personal injury attorneys at The Law Offices of George Poulos can support you in doing so.
How does proof of medical attention help my personal injury claim?
For personal injury claims, you are required to collect evidence that will satisfy the burden of proof of the other party’s negligence in the accident. And thus, medical documentation is the prime piece of evidence to do so. Additionally, the following are other reasons why immediate medical care will benefit your claim:
- Establishing causation: the longer you wait, the harder it is to prove that the accident was the direct cause of your injuries.
- Establishing seriousness: the longer you wait, the harder it is to prove that your injuries are severe.
- Maximizing your settlement offer: If you do not seek aid, you will not know the appropriate amount to settle for because the full extent of your injuries will be left unknown. If you realize after you accept a settlement offer that you require treatment more serious and more expensive than you predicted, you will not be able to go back and ask for more.
- Beating the statute of limitations: New York’s statute of limitations is three years from the date of the accident. Delaying medical assistance can delay your decision to file a claim and ultimately bar you from suing.
Aside from benefiting your personal injury claim, receiving medical attention with urgency is best for your physical wellbeing. You do not have to go through this alone. Contact one of the knowledgeable Queens personal injury attorneys today.
How do I receive the right medical attention after an accident?
Below are the steps you should follow for proper medical attention that will benefit your personal injury claim:
- At the scene of the accident, call 911.
- Once they are on the scene, allow the police to call for medical attention on your behalf.
- Once they are on the scene, allow the medical professionals to attend to you immediately.
- After leaving the scene, go to the hospital independently for any additional care needed.
- After days, weeks, or months after the accident, consistently go to receive treatment as necessary.
- Collect all medical bills and documents throughout the treatment process.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.