If you are employed in New York and you were injured on the job, there is a good chance you are eligible to receive workers’ compensation. However, there are certain instances where you may not be entitled to workers’ compensation, which is why you should read on and know for sure whether or not you qualify. Not receiving workers’ compensation in a situation where it is necessary can be a very stressful experience, so you should know if you are covered before you find yourself needing it.
What are some of the professions that are covered under New York workers’ compensation laws?
As stated above, most jobs in New York do qualify for compensation. You should also know that you do not have to be a legal citizen, and you also do not need a social security number to qualify. Here are some examples of workers who are covered under workers’ compensation laws:
- Those who work for for-profit companies.
- Employees who work under hazardous conditions
- Employees of the state
- Full-time domestic employees. This includes sitters, companions, live-in maids, and other remote jobs as well.
- Farm workers for employers who paid more than $1200 in labor for the previous calendar year
- Corporate officers with more than 2 officers or stockholders
- Public school teachers
- Most workers for non-profit organizations
If you feel you are entitled to workers’ compensation and are being told you are not covered, do not hesitate to contact an experienced attorney.
Are there certain workers that are not covered under workers’ compensation laws?
While most people are in fact covered by these laws, there may be more workers than you think that are not. Here is a list of some, but not all, workers who are not covered under workers’ compensation laws:
- Religious leaders
- Teachers in non-profit religious, charitable, or educational institutions
- People who receive aid for work with religious or charitable institutions and are not under a contract for hire
- New York City firefighters, police officers, and firefighters covered under the NYS General Municipal Law
- Independent real estate salespersons
- Sole business owners or businesses with one to two offices with no employees
- Non-profit amateur athletic activity members
- Occupations covered under another workers’ compensation system, including some maritime employees, interstate railroad employees, and federal employees
Contact an experienced New York attorney
Workers’ compensation may be the deciding factor between living comfortably and financially struggling. If your employer has told you that you are not covered under workers’ compensation, or even if you were denied it, please do not hesitate to call us for free–there may be something we can do to help.
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.