As a passenger in a car accident, you have as much of a right to sue to negligent party as the driver does, so long as you received injuries or other damages that require compensation. Continue reading to understand the proper procedure you should follow when filing a personal injury claim and how an experienced car accident lawyer in Queens of The Law Offices of George Poulos can guide you through the process.
What damages can I recover as a passenger in a car accident?
As a passenger, you are eligible to recover the same economic and non-economic damages as a driver in a car accident. Examples that may apply are as follows:
- Economic damages:
- Medical bills.
- Lost wages.
- Medical equipment.
- Outside assistance.
- Non-economic damages:
- Emotional distress.
- Pain and suffering.
- Loss of independence.
How do I sue the negligent party as a passenger?
Before considering suing the negligent party for your damages, your attorney should first submit a claim to their insurance company. In the instance that they do not offer a fair settlement that fully compensates for your injuries, then you should look into filing a personal injury claim.
Healing from your injuries should be your top priority. So, if you are suffering from long-term injuries, medical bills or lost wages, or otherwise physical, emotional, and financial burdens, then you should file a claim. You should not have to worry about how your relationship with the host driver, if they are your friend or family member, will be affected if they are the negligent party at hand. It may help to understand that your claim will not be against them directly, but rather, against their insurance company.
What steps should I take as a passenger after a car accident?
To ensure that your personal injury claim is plausible, you must satisfy the burden of proof. With that being said, follow the below steps:
- Call 911 immediately after your accident. Law enforcement officers will arrive to conduct a report and call medical attention.
- Once they are on the scene, you should seek medical treatment as soon as possible.
- Collect the contact information from all parties involved. This includes their name, number, driver’s license information, and insurance company information. Do the same for present witnesses.
- Take photos and videos of the scene to document all damages. Ask the same for present witnesses.
- Collect any and all medical documents that are related to your injuries from the accident.
- Retain the services of one of the skilled Queens personal injury attorneys today.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today.