If you have vacation plans for the summer, there is a good chance you will stay in a hotel. Hotels are fun for the whole family, especially when they come with buffet breakfasts, swimming pools, gyms, and more. However, hotels are not all fun and games. Sometimes, hotel employers or staff neglect their single most important priority, which is keeping you safe. If you or someone you know has been injured in a hotel accident, here are some of the questions you may have:
What are the most common types of hotel accidents?
Hotels have a wide array of potential safety hazards that may cause various types of accidents including, but not limited to:
- Stairway accidents
- Escalator accidents
- Elevator accidents
- Sidewalk accidents
- Unsanitary conditions
- Parking lot or garage accidents
- Gym equipment accidents
- Accidents due to inadequate lighting
- Accidents due to inadequate security
- Swimming pool accidents
What are some of the biggest swimming pool hazards?
Many hotels boast big, beautiful swimming pools. These pools can either be indoor or outdoor, but they pose virtually the same amount of risk. Here are some of the precautions hotel pool owners must take into consideration before allowing anyone to swim:
- They must install all proper alarms, barriers, and covers in and around the pool area
- Hotel staff must have “wet floor” and other hazard warning signs on standby. If you were to slip and fall because you did not know the floor was wet and no signs were indicating this was the case, you should be entitled to compensation
- There should always be an attentive lifeguard present who knows how to perform CPR
- Pools without safe diving areas must be clearly labeled as such
- Electronic devices should be far away from the water at all times
- Hotel pool owners must ensure the pool has compliant drain covers
How do I know if I qualify for compensation?
If you were injured due to another party’s negligence, or a hotel owner or staff member neglected to ensure the above safety requirements were taken and you were injured as a result, you will most likely be entitled to receive the financial compensation you need. Photographic or video evidence, witness testimony, and medical documentation may all help bolster your claim as well. You should also hire an experienced attorney who knows how to implement this evidence in the most efficient way possible. The compensation you recover may go towards your medical bills, in-home care costs, lost wages, and more.
Contact our New York firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.