Our firm understands the importance of receiving workers’ compensation payments after sustaining a serious injury on the job. These benefits can give injured workers the financial assistance they need to receive necessary medical care and to get back on their feet again. For over 25 years, our firm has helped individuals in Manhattan and throughout New York City recover the benefits they need, and we are ready to put that experience to work for you. Contact our seasoned Manhattan workers’ compensation attorney to learn about how The Law Offices of George Poulos can represent your best interests through every step of the claims process ahead.
Our Legal Services
The Law Offices of George Poulos can provide you with the following answers to your questions after sustaining a workplace injury:
- What is Workers’ Compensation?
- Who is covered?
- Filing a claim
- Workers’ Compensation Benefits
- Disability Classifications
- Occupational Diseases
- Third Party Lawsuits
- Claim Disputes
Understanding Workers’ Compensation
- Workers’ Compensation: Regardless of where you work, there is always a chance that you may sustain a serious injury on the job. In many cases, these injuries are not even the worker’s fault. Fortunately, in most cases, workers’ compensation benefits can provide those employees with the benefits they need to obtain medical treatment and swiftly get back into the workforce.
- Determining Whether You Have a Claim: The first step of the process after sustaining a workplace injury or developing a medical condition due to one’s job is to determine whether New York State’s workers’ compensation laws cover their injury. As long as your injury occurred during work hours and your insurance policy covers those injuries, there is a very good chance that you will have a valid workers’ compensation claim.
- Determining Your Disability Classification: Once we determine whether you have a claim, we will then have to assess your disability classification. To do so, you must seek medical treatment and receive a doctor’s note that details the extent of your disability, how it hinders your daily function, and how it, therefore, prevents you from returning to work for some time. During this process, you will need an experienced attorney on your side to ensure we obtain all the information we need.
- Filing Your Claim: Filing workers’ compensation claims is, at times, quite complex, which is why it is best to retain the services of a seasoned Manhattan workers’ compensation attorney who can work to ensure you submit all of the necessary documentation so you know you applied correctly the first time.
- Handling Claim Disputes: Even after hiring an attorney to help ensure you submit your claim properly, there are times where insurance companies will still dispute your claim and try to prove that you are not really injured. In most cases, this is simply due to the fact that insurance companies are businesses and care far more about making a profit than they do about helping those who are injured. However, while insurance companies may not be on your side, The Law Offices of George Poulos is. Our firm is ready to handle any disputed claim to prove your case and help win you the compensation you deserve and need.
- Filing Third-Party Lawsuits: In most cases, when someone is injured on the job, they will file a workers’ compensation claim. However, there are times where workers’ compensation benefits do not cover the extent of the injury sustained, and if you find yourself in this situation, we may have grounds for a third-party claim. Essentially, a third-party claim is when you sue a negligent third-party other than your employer for a work-related injury. For example, if you were injured due to a defective machine that you used on the job, you may sue the product manufacturer or designer in a third-party claim. This can help you recover the maximum compensation while keeping your job.
Statute of Limitations
Every state has a statute of limitations in place when it comes to workers’ compensation and third-party claims. If you are looking to file a third-party claim after an injury in New York State, you must not wait any longer than three years of the date of your accident to sue. However, if you are looking to file a workers’ compensation claim, you will most likely have even less time to take legal action, as the statute of limitations for workers’ compensation claims is, generally two years.
Contact Our Experienced Manhattan Workers’ Compensation Attorney
The bottom line is that if you are someone who has been injured on the job, you must retain the services of an experienced Manhattan workers’ compensation attorney as soon as you possibly can. We have helped countless individuals through the workers’ compensation claims process for decades, and we are ready to do the same for you. We know that this is a critical time in your life, and we are ready to fight for your right to a swift recovery. Contact The Law Offices of George Poulos today to learn more about what we can do for you.