If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be eligible to recover compensation. If you wish to take legal action, one of the first steps of the process will be an initial consultation with a personal injury attorney. If you are recovering from an injury, taking legal action can feel daunting. One of the best ways to relieve your stress is to be knowledgeable about the process ahead. Read on to learn more about initial consultations, what to expect, and how to prepare.
What Should I Bring?
The purpose of an initial consultation is for your attorney to learn more about your case. In order to help the process, you should bring a few documents with you. These documents will help familiarize your attorney with your case:
- A written account of the events of your accident and subsequent events
- Proof of accident, including photos & video from the accident, witness statements and contact info, etc.
- Medical documents detailing the extent and origin of your injuries
- Receipts detailing any medical costs you have incurred
- Statements detailing how much work you have missed, resulting in lost wages and opportunities
- A copy of the police report if the police were called
- Relevant insurance information– health, car, etc.
- A list of questions to ask your attorney
What Will I Be Asked?
In order to become better acquainted with the case, your attorney will ask you questions. You should try to be prepared to answer the following:
- How have your injuries impacted your everyday life?
- What is your official prognosis according to your doctor?
- Have you ever filed a personal injury claim before?
- Have you given a statement to your insurance company?
- Have you had any correspondence with the other party or their insurance company?
- If so, bring a copy of this correspondence
How Long do I Have to File a Claim?
In New York, you will have three years from the date of your injury to file a personal injury claim. This deadline is known as the statute of limitations. If you miss this deadline, you may lose your chance to recieve compensation, so it is important to act quickly if you wish to take legal action and recover the compensation you deserve.
If you have any questions regarding a personal injury case, reach out to The Law Offices of George Poulos today.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.