Many people across New York City choose bicycles as their primary method of transportation. This is completely understandable, as bicycles are an efficient and healthy means to get from place to place. Additionally, thousands across the City even ride their bicycles for fun, as one almost always sees cyclists leisurely making their way through Central Park on a beautiful summer day. Unfortunately, as with any good thing, it has its downsides as well. Generally, bicycle accidents are far more severe than car-on-car accidents, as a bicyclist is far less protected than virtually anyone else on the road. This is why nobody would blame you if you were investigating whether you are eligible to recover financial compensation for the injuries you have sustained. If you have been involved in a bicycle accident, please read on to learn more:
What are the primary types of bicycle accidents?
- Right or left cross accidents: These will occur when a motorist is crossing a bicyclist’s path at an intersection and is not paying attention.
- Side-swiping accidents: When a cyclist is driving to the left of a shoulder, sometimes not allowing cars to overtake them, motorists may get impatient and try to do so anyway, resulting in an accident.
- Rear-end accidents: These are one of the most common cyclist accidents, and they occur when motorists follow cyclists too closely or are driving while distracted, rear-ending a cyclist as a result. These will generally occur at stop signs or when a cyclist is moving left to avoid parked cars.
- Right side accidents: This is when a cyclist is to the right of a car at an intersection and is hooked by the vehicle turning right.
- Dooring accidents: This is when a motorist opens a car door in a cyclist’s path. A motorist is always responsible for checking his or her surroundings before opening a car door. However, when a cyclist sees a car door open last-second, he or she will either have to crash or quickly steer into the driving lane, where he or she may also be at risk.
In general, if you can prove you were injured due to another party’s negligence, there is a very good chance you will recover financial compensation. This compensation may go towards medical bills, in-home care costs, and more. Do not hesitate to contact an experienced personal injury attorney who will ensure you gather all the necessary documents and evidence to help prove your personal injury claim.
Contact our New York City firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.