Going out to eat can be a great way to get out of the house. Unfortunately, there are a number of ways to become injured in a restaurant. Read on to learn more about restaurant accidents in New York and what to do in the event of an injury.
How do Restaurant Accidents Occur?
Restaurants are filled with numerous hazards, for example:
- Insufficient lighting, preventing individuals from seeing potential safety hazards
- Dangerous restaurant parking lots
- Food poisoning
- Slip and falls on spilled liquids
- Inadequate security
- Defective or broken stairways
- Burn injuries
Can I Recover Compensation for a Restaurant Accident?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover compensation for a restaurant accident, you must be able to prove 1 of 2 things:
- The restaurant owner and/or staff were aware of the hazards that caused your accident to occur and did not fix it in time, causing the accident to occur
- The restaurant owner and/or staff should have reasonably been aware of the hazards that caused the accident to occur
Fulfilling the Burden of Proof
In order to prove that your accident occurred due to negligence, you must fulfill the burden of proof. You can do this by:
- Calling 911- The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Seek medical attention- It is important to go to the hospital immediately after the accident occurs. This will ensure that your injuries are treated while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Document the scene- While waiting for the ambulance, take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident. If possible, document the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
- Obtain witness contacts- If anyone saw the accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events. Ask for their name and contact information.
- Contact an attorney- An experienced personal injury attorney may be able to obtain further evidence, including security camera footage, police reports, and more.
If you have been injured in a restaurant accident, reach out to our experienced firm today.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.