The weather is getting warmer which means many of us will be spending lots of time swimming and lounging around the pool. While pools are a great source of summer fun, they can be more dangerous than you may realize. Pool accidents occur often and they can have serious consequences. Read on to learn more about swimming pool accidents in New York City.
What are NYC Swimming Pool Laws?
Public and private property owners are required to abide by the laws that New York State has implemented regarding swimming pools. New York State requires that all pools that were installed or modified after December 14, 2006, must have a pool alarm that detects when an individual enters the pool surface. In addition, all residential pools are required to have a barrier, such as a fence, that completely surrounds the swimming pool in order to obstruct access to the pool. The fence must be at least 4 feet high. If you are the owner of a swimming pool in New York, it is important to check with state regulations to ensure your pool meets the safety code.
Swimming Pool Owner Negligence
Unfortunately, a number of serious accidents occur due to swimming pool owner negligence. Some of the most common examples of negligence include:
- Failing to supervise all swimming children, at all times
- Failing to install all compliant drains
- Failing to set up all necessary fences, barriers, and alarms
- Neglecting to put out wet floor signs
- Failing to check if any children need floatation devices
- Letting others use electronics in the pool
- Swimming under the influence, or allowing others to do so
Can I Recover Compensation for a Swimming Pool Accident?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you will likely be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof of negligence. After an accident, make sure to take the following steps:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene: take photos and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pool accident in New York, contact our firm to speak with a dedicated attorney.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.