Before you enjoy your pool day, it is important that you are made aware of the dangers that this activity may pose. Read on to learn important swimming pool safety tips and how one of the seasoned Queens premises liability attorneys at The Law Offices of George Poulos can support you in the unfortunate event that you are involved in an accident.
What swimming pool safety tips should I follow?
In New York state, property owners are responsible for ensuring their premises are safe for all passersby. But to further ensure your own safety, should follow the below safety tips:
- Confirm that you and other swimmers are aware of where the shallow parts of the pool are located.
- Confirm that you and other swimmers can swim properly in the deep parts of the pool.
- Be sure that you and other swimmers do not consume alcohol or drugs if you plan to go in the pool.
- Be sure that you never leave a minor child unattended in or around the swimming pool.
- Confirm that someone present is trained to perform CPR in case of an emergency.
- Be sure that electronic devices are not placed near the swimming pool.
Can I pursue legal action if I am involved in a swimming pool accident?
If you received an injury or any other damages from a swimming accident caused by a pool owner’s negligence, you may be entitled to receive financial compensation via a premises liability claim. With your claim, you must fulfill the burden of proof, meaning that you must provide sufficient evidence that your damages are in direct correlation to the pool owner’s neglect. To do so, it is in your best interest to follow the below steps at the scene of the accident:
- Call 911: the police will dispatch an ambulance to the scene on your behalf and file a police report, which you should retain a copy of afterward.
- Collect the witnesses’ contact information: later on, they may be asked to provide a witness testimony for your case.
- Take pictures and videos of the scene: this includes your injuries, damages, and any hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Seek immediate medical attention: receive proper treatment at the scene and also at any necessary follow-up appointments. You should retain copies of any relevant medical documents pointing to the origin and severity of your injuries.
- Hire one of the knowledgeable Queens personal injury attorneys: our firm can help you gather any remaining essential evidence, such as security camera footage. Importantly, you must file your claim before the statute of limitations, which in New York is three years from the date of your accident.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today.