Car accidents happen incredibly often. Truck accidents, on the other hand, do not occur as frequently. But, when truck accidents do occur, they are often more severe. This is due to the large size and heavy weight of trucks, leading them to cause more damage. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event that an accident occurs. Read on to learn more about truck accidents in New York.
Common Causes of Truck Accidents
In New York, truck accidents can be caused in a number of different ways. The most common reasons accidents occur include:
- Poor judgment: Accidents can be caused if a driver speeds, drives recklessly, changes lanes improperly, makes a dangerous turn, follows others too closely, and more.
- Distracted driving: Drivers who do not give their full attention may not be able to slow down or stop the vehicle in time to prevent an accident.
- Impaired driving: When an accident happens because a truck driver is under the influence, drowsy, or suffers from a medical condition while driving.
- Vehicle malfunction: When a truck has a defective part and malfunctions on the road.
- Poor conditions: If a road is not maintained or there is poor weather, accidents can happen.
What Do I Do if I Am Injured?
If you are injured due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation, but you will have to provide proof that this negligence occurred. To do so, you should:
- Call the police. They can call an ambulance and file an accident report.
- Document the scene. It is important to take photos and videos of the scene of the accident, making sure to capture any damage done to your car, the truck, and any property involved.
- If anyone witnessed the accident occur, obtain their contact information. They may be able to corroborate your story later on.
- Seek medical attention. Go to the hospital, your doctor, or an urgent care clinic immediately after the accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional as well as documenting the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Contact a skilled personal injury attorney. An attorney may be able to collect further proof of negligence and make sure that you file your personal injury claim on time.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a truck accident, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.