An intersection collision is a type of car accident that has one of the most devastating aftermaths. Whether it be a head-on or a side-impact collision, the potential damages can be brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, or severe fractures to the lower body. So, if you are a victim of an intersection collision accident, continue reading to learn how an experienced car accident lawyer in Queens of The Law Offices of George Poulos can guide you through filing a personal injury claim.
What commonly causes intersection collisions in New York state?
Just like any other auto accident on the New York roads, the leading cause of intersection collision accidents is driver negligence. Notably, the New York courts do not excuse such reckless behavior with claims such as a car “came out of nowhere.” With that being said, the following are examples of driver negligence in which you would have a valid personal injury claim:
- The driver did not surveillance the intersection when proceeding.
- The driver assumed that the other driver was yielding, turning, etc., when proceeding at the intersection.
- The driver misjudged the other driver’s speed, a gap, etc., when proceeding at the intersection.
- The driver texted, navigated a GPS, etc., when proceeding at the intersection.
- The driver sped, ignored a traffic signal, made an illegal maneuver, etc., when proceeding at the intersection.
- The driver proceeded at the intersection regardless of an obstructed view.
What steps should I take after my intersection collision accident?
If you were injured due to an intersection collision that was of no fault of your own, you must seek justice and bring your personal injury claim forward. To build up a strong case, you must fulfill the burden of proof. The New York court will use this evidence to determine whether the other driver’s negligence was in direct correlation to your injuries and damages. So, take the following approach while still at the scene of your accident:
- Call 911 so that a police report can be conducted and medical attention can be brought to the scene.
- Take photos and videos so that your injuries, damages, and any contributory hazards can be documented.
- Exchange contact information with the other driver and with present witnesses so that testimonies can be later shared.
- Seek medical attention at the scene and at follow-up appointments so that your injuries can be documented.
- Retain the services of one of the skilled Queens personal injury attorneys before New York’s statute of limitations of three years from the date of your accident.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today.