If you slip and fall on someone’s property and get hurt, you may be able to sue them for compensation. If there was a hazard and you can show that the negligence of the property owner was to blame for your injuries, you can sue for damages. What happens if you get hurt on government property? You can still sue, but the process for claiming damages from the government can be a bit confusing. We recommend reaching out to our Queens slip & fall accident attorneys as soon as possible.

What Are Some Potential Hazards on Government Property?

A government property can be poorly maintained and taken care of just like any privately owned property. There are many potential hazards that could injure someone in a government building or the surrounding areas, including:

  • Uneven concrete
  • Broken or damaged walkways
  • Malfunctioning escalators
  • Poor lighting
  • Debris in walkways
  • Stairwells with missing or broken banister

If you think that the hazard that caused your injuries should have been addressed by the property owner, you may have a valid claim.

What Should I Do After I Get Injured on Government Property?

It’s important to begin building a case right after the slip and fall accident. Get pictures of the accident scene and talk to any eyewitnesses. Then see a medical professional right away. If you delay getting care, an insurer can try to use that against you. They might say that your injuries must not have been too serious or that you received them in another way.

Can I Sue the Government After a Slip and Fall?

You can, but you cannot just sue the government for damages right away. If you got injured on government property, you must file a notice of claim, informing the government of your plans to sue.

When it comes to personal injury cases, most states have a statute of limitations that lasts for a year or more. If you were hurt on government property, you must act within just 90 days. You file your claim and then you can sue for damages. This is a small window, so you must make your claim in a timely manner. Only then will you be able to pursue the compensation that you deserve.

How Can a Lawyer Help Me?

Your lawyer can help you in a few different ways. Not only will we handle the paperwork, but we can also:

  • Calculate fair compensation
  • Handle all communications on your behalf
  • Gather evidence needed to make your case
  • Connect you with expert witnesses who can strengthen your case
  • Answer your questions about the legal process

Talk to an Attorney Today

When you are ready to learn more about your legal options, contact the Law Offices of George Poulos. You do not have a lot of time to take legal action against the government, so schedule your consultation soon.