There are many things that can contribute to a motor vehicle accident, including dangerous road conditions. A city or state is supposed to be caring for its streets. When a government entity fails at its job, it should be held responsible by the citizens to whom it caused harm. A car accident lawyer in Queens can help you with that.

Can I Really Sue the State or City Over Dangerous Road Conditions?

Yes, you can. If you can show that the state or city should have known about a hazard and that it was not fixed in a timely manner, a dangerous situation was created. If cities and other government entities are lazy about keeping drivers safe from issues like deep potholes, damaged guardrails, or poorly lit roads, then someone needs to be held responsible.

There is an important thing to remember when it comes to suing government entities though. You have to act quickly. In New York, you have just 90 days to file a claim with a city of the state. This informs them that you are ready to pursue legal action. In a normal personal injury case, you have years to sue. When it comes to government entities, that timeline shrinks, which is why it can be useful to have a lawyer on your side. An experienced attorney can have the necessary paperwork complete in no time while you focus on recovering from your accident and injuries.

What Should I Do After My Accident?

You can take some steps to start building your case right after the accident occurs. We recommend that you:

  • Call the police so that they can fill out a report
  • Exchange info with any other drivers who were involved
  • Take pictures of the damage to your vehicle and the dangerous road conditions
  • Get the medical care you need
  • Consider hiring a lawyer and pursuing compensation

Can I Sue Multiple Parties After an Accident Caused by Dangerous Road Conditions?

In some cases, another driver is also partly to blame for the accident. Yes, there was a dangerous road condition, but another driver acting negligently also contributed to your accident. For example, a road was not properly plowed, but this driver was speeding anyway.

In cases like this, you can sue two different parties. Our lawyers can look at your case and see if that’s an option. Then we will help you fight for compensation.

Do I Need a Personal Injury Lawyer?

You are not required to hire an attorney, but one can do a lot to help you with your case. They can:

  • File paperwork on time
  • Let you know about court dates
  • Fight for fair compensation
  • Answer your questions
  • Defend you from accusations of wrongdoing
  • Identify all liable parties
  • Gather evidence needed to make your case

The government is sure to have lawyers on your side. Let us even the odds a bit.

Contact Our Firm Today

When you are ready to move forward with a personal injury lawsuit, contact the Law Offices of George Poulos. We can offer you a case evaluation and tell you more about how our attorneys can be of assistance. Contact us today.