Speeding can cause a number of dangers. If you were injured as a result of another speeder, you may be entitled to financial compensation for your burdens. Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today to discuss the details of your case and your options. Our Queens personal injury attorneys are on your side.
What are the dangers of speeding?
Unfortunately, one-third of all motor vehicle fatalities within the past two decades have been a direct result of speeding. More specifically, speeders were a contributing factor in 26% of all traffic fatalities in 2019.
It is important to recognize that speed also affects your safety even when you are going the speed limit but too fast for road conditions, such as during bad weather, when a road is under repair, or in a place at night that is not adequately lit.
Not only does speeding put the speeder in danger but also others on the road, including law enforcement officers. It is critical that you understand the seriousness of speeding. If you were injured as a result of a speeding driver, you may be eligible to recover damages for your burdens. Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today to speak about the details of your case and your legal options.
What can result from speeding?
Speeding is against the law for a reason. The penalties can be severe and include the following:
- Increased degree of crash severity leading to more severe injuries;
- Greater potential for loss of vehicle control;
- Reduced effectiveness of occupant protection equipment;
- Increased stopping distance after the driver perceives a danger;
- Economic implications of a speed-related crash; and
- Increased fuel consumption/cost.
What steps should I take if there is a speeder/aggressive driver on the road?
Speeding puts not only the person speeding at risk, but also other drivers, pedestrians, and bicyclists. If you are on the road with a speeder, it is important that you keep in mind the following steps to best protect yourself:
- Be sure to provide speeding drivers with plenty of space. Speeding drivers may lose control of their vehicles more easily.
- If you are in the left lane and someone wants to pass, move over and let them.
- Adjust your driving as you see fit. Speeding is linked to aggressive driving. If a speeder is tailgating you or trying to engage you in risky driving, it is important that you do what you can to safely move your vehicle out of the way.
- Call the police if you think a driver is following you or harassing you.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.