The Fourth of July is just days away and many people will celebrate the holiday by lighting fireworks. But, fireworks can be dangerous. As a result, it is important to be educated when it comes to firework safety. Read on to learn more.
How do I Prepare to Light Fireworks?
When it comes to fireworks, it is extremely important to make sure you are buying the correct fireworks. Some fireworks are illegal, and others are for professional use only. Additionally, you should set up the scene to ensure the safety of yourself, your loved ones, your pets, etc. In order to do this:
- Do not buy fireworks that come in brown paper. They are for professionals and should not be used in small neighborhoods.
- Make sure adults are present and children never access fireworks alone
- Keep water nearby, such as a hose, in the event that a fire starts
- Never carry fireworks in your pocket
- Never light fireworks in a glass or metal container
- Be sure that fireworks are legal in your area before buying them
- Keep your pets inside so they do not become scared or hurt
What do I Need to Know About Lighting Fireworks?
There are a number of things to keep in mind when it comes to lighting fireworks safely. Be sure to:
- Wear eye protection at all times
- Only light one firework at a time
- Never light fireworks indoors
- Never light fireworks in your hand
- Be sure all spectators are at a safe distance away from the display
- Quickly back a safe distance away after lighting the display
- Do not throw or point fireworks at another person
- Never pick up and relight a firework if it did not properly combust
- After a firework goes off, wait 20 minutes then douse it with cool water
- Never consume drugs or alcohol while lighting fireworks
What is the Statute of Limitations?
If you are injured in a firework accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to be sure to file your personal injury claim on time. In New York, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident.
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, contact our firm today.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.