If you are a bicyclist or motorcyclist who was injured in a dooring accident, read on to discover how to recover damages and how a seasoned car accident lawyer in Queens of The Law Offices of George Poulos can be of any assistance.
According to New York law, what is a dooring accident?
Put simply, a dooring accident is when a cyclist or motorcyclist gets hit by a person opening their vehicle door.
This directly violates New York law, which states, “no person shall open the door of a motor vehicle on the side available to moving traffic unless and until it is reasonably safe to do so, and can be done without interfering with the movement of other traffic, nor shall any person leave a door open on the side of a vehicle available to moving traffic for a period of time longer than necessary to load or unload passengers.”
What injuries are associated with dooring accidents?
Bicyclists and motorcyclists take a risk when they share the New York roads with other vehicle drivers. This is because bicycles and motorcycles offer little protection in comparison to other vehicles. So when they collide, the aftermath can be quite damaging. Below is a list of injuries that are commonly associated with dooring accidents:
- Deep cuts to the skin.
- Broken, dislocated, or sprained bones.
- Internal bleeding.
- Organ damage.
- Brain damage.
- Spinal cord injury.
How do I receive compensation after my dooring accident?
To have any chance at recovering the damages you incurred after your dooring accident, you must file a personal injury claim. With your claim, you must fulfill the burden or proof. That is, you must collect enough evidence that directly ties your injuries to the negligence of another party. This is why you must take the following approach after your accident occurs:
- Call 911: a law enforcement officer will arrive on the scene, execute an official police report, and call for medical attention on your behalf.
- Record the scene: take photos and videos of your injuries, the damages your bicycle/motorcycle incurred, the vehicle door that caused your accident, and any other hazards that contributed to your accident.
- Accumulate contact information: ask for the contact details of the other motorist (i.e., name, phone number, email address, license plate number, driver’s license number, insurance company name, insurance policy number), along with any involved passengers and witnesses.
- Attend to medical treatment: get treated even if you do not have apparent injuries, as they may surface later on. Also, schedule follow-up appointments with a physician.
- Retain the services of one of the competent Queens personal injury attorneys: we can retrieve additional evidence, such as surveillance camera footage.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today.