If you have been injured in a car accident caused by another driver, you likely deserve compensation. But, recovering compensation can get complicated when the other driver is uninsured. Luckily, our firm is here to help. Read on to learn more.
Filing a Lawsuit
New York is a no-fault insurance state, meaning insurance providers will pay damages up to a limit. This is regardless of who caused the accident. This can make it difficult to file a lawsuit against the uninsured driver, as there can be certain restrictions. The best course of action in these situations is to report the accident to your insurance company and contact an attorney to explore your legal options.
Insurance Claims Against Uninsured Drivers
When contacting an insurance company, it is important to tell them the accident was with an uninsured driver. In addition to this, have the following information ready:
- Your insurance card for your policy number
- The date, time, and location of the accident
- A detailed report of how the accident happened
- When the representative asks for the other driver’s insurance information, you can give them the driver’s contact information.
- The name of the police department along with the report number
Fulfilling the burden of proof:
In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will need to provide proof. Immediately after an accident, you should:
- Call 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Document the scene: While waiting for the ambulance, be sure to take pictures and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Obtain witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to provide important witness testimony.
- Seek medical attention: It is important to go to a doctor, even if you do not feel like you have been seriously injured. This is because you can sustain a serious injury without realizing it. This will also provide you with important proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
If you have been injured in a car accident, you will need the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Reach out today to discuss your case.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.