It is the job of a property owner in New York to ensure their grounds are safe for other people to be on. This is because there are a variety of ways that accidents can happen. One way that a property owner can work to ensure safety on their grounds is by providing adequate security. The failure to do so can result in serious accidents and injuries that the property owner can be held liable for. Continue reading below to learn more and contact an experienced New York personal injury attorney if you were injured on another’s property.
Why is Security Important?
If a property owner does not have proper security on their grounds, it can cause a variety of accidents to happen. That is why properties such as apartment buildings, office buildings, parking lots, stadiums, shopping centers, etc. should have it to ensure safety. Examples of an unjustified lack of security can include but are not limited to the following:
- A resident of an apartment building makes multiple complaints to a landlord about potentially dangerous people in common areas and the landlord does not take action
- There are no security guards where they are needed
- A property does not have security cameras to provide surveillance where it should be
- There is no working alarm in an elevator
- There are no security guards in a location where alcohol is served and intoxication can be a risk to public safety
- There are no working door locks for entryways of apartment buildings, allowing easy access for robbers
How do I Fulfill the Burden of Proof?
After a person sustains an injury on another’s property due to a lack of security, they may pursue legal action to recover compensation. This can be possible by fulfilling the burden of proof with evidence. This evidence must show that the property owner was negligent by not having the right security and this directly caused their injuries. In addition to hiring an attorney, the following steps can be used in order to prove this in court:
- Filing a police report in the event of criminal activity
- Obtaining witness testimony to the actions that occurred
- Taking pictures of the conditions or obtaining surveillance footage
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.