Bikes are an easy and fun method of transportation that many people use in New York. However, it is important to remember that they can also be very dangerous, as they provide riders with next to no protection from hazards on the busy streets of the city. When an accident does happen, it can cause serious injuries or possibly even death in some cases. That is why it is crucial for all bikers to practice the proper safety measures before and during their bike ride so that they can protect themselves. Due to the fact that May is National Bicycle Safety Month, our experienced New York law firm created a list of safety tips to follow while out riding:
- Be sure the bike is ready to be ridden before taking it out on the road. Bikes have many parts that need to work together so it can be ridden. All riders should check to make sure it is in good condition before riding by checking the brakes, filling the tires to the right air pressure, and more.
- Always ride in the same direction as traffic. Bikers should also make sure they are using the right hand signals to let vehicles surrounding them know where they are going, such as making a turn or switching lanes, to avoid an accident.
- Always wear a helmet. Any helmet works, however, it is best to have one that meets the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission’s (CPSC) standards.
- Obey all rules and regulations of the road. This includes obeying all traffic signs and traffic lights, not biking under the influence, and more.
- Make yourself visible. Bikers should always wear bright colors so they can be visible to others. Reflective gear should also be worn at night so they can be seen in the dark.
- Pay attention to your surroundings. Bikers should always be doing everything they can to prevent an accident from happening. This includes paying attention to surroundings and following the rules of the road.
These are all important tips to remember as you go to take your bike out for a ride, as they can help to protect you from unnecessary injuries. However, the unfortunate reality is that these accidents can happen anyway. If you are involved in an accident and injured due to negligence, it is possible to recover compensation. When pursuing legal action, retain the services of an experienced New York personal injury attorney for assistance.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.