It can be a very tragic situation when a person is involved in an accident while they are at work or performing work-related duties. These situations can result in life-changing injuries that can sometimes keep a person out of work for an elongated period of time. It is because of this that workers’ compensation is in place to provide benefits to employees facing these matters. However, there are certain steps that must be taken in order to receive this. When dealing with these situations, it is important to remember four key parts. Continue reading below to learn more.


After becoming injured on the job, obtain all necessary medical treatment as soon as possible. The health care provider treating you must be authorized by the Workers’ Compensation Board unless it is an emergency situation. If your employer is authorized to participate in a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) or Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) program, you may be able to obtain medical treatment from a participating health care provider. Participating employers must notify their employees of all information relating to these programs. In addition to this, if you need diagnostic tests or prescription medicine, your employer or insurance carrier may require you to receive your tests or medicine from a diagnostic network or designated pharmacy. 

The cost of necessary medical services is paid by your employer or the employer’s insurance carrier if they do not dispute the case. Health care providers may request that an injured employee signs a form A-9 to provide notice that they may be responsible for paying these bills if the Workers’ Compensation Board disallows the claim or they do not pursue the claim.


When an accident happens at work, you must notify your supervisor or employer about your injuries and how they occurred as soon as possible. If you fail to do so, in writing, within 30 days of the injury, you may lose the right to receive workers’ compensation benefits. In the event of an occupational disease, notice should be given within two years after disablement or within two years of knowing the disease was work-related.


In order to receive workers’ compensation benefits, you must complete a claim on Form C-3 and mail it to the nearest office of the Workers’ Compensation Board. Failure to do so within the allotted time period can result in the loss of your right to these benefits. 


After these steps are completed, there are still matters to take care of after the fact. This can include the following:

  • Follow the doctor’s instructions for the best possible recovery
  • Attend an Independent Medical Examination if you are required to do so
  • Go back to work as soon as possible
  • Attend hearings as they may be held in the case when you are notified to appear

Contact our Firm

The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.