Car accidents are common occurrences. In fact, they happen more often than you may think. In the United States, a car accident occurs every 60 seconds. As a result, it is important to know what to do in the event of a car accident in New York City. NYC is especially dangerous for drivers who share crowded roads with cabs, bikes, and pedestrians. Read on to learn more about New York City car accidents.
What are the Most Common Causes of Car Accidents?
Car accidents can be caused by any number of factors. Some accidents are caused by faulty car parts, poor weather, or hazardous road conditions. But, the majority of car accidents are caused by driver negligence. The most common examples of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
If you are injured in a car accident that was caused by another driver’s negligence, you may be entitled to recover compensation.
What do I do if I am Involved in a Car Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident, there are a few steps you will need to take.
- Call 911
- The police can file a report, gather witness statements, and conduct chemical tests. These things will be helpful when it comes to filing a personal injury claim.
- Document the scene
- If you wish to pursue legal action for a car accident, you will have to prove that some form of negligence occurred. To do so, you will want to take pictures and videos of the scene of the accident and any damage to all vehicles involved.
- Seek medical help
- You should go to the hospital, even if you do not believe you are seriously injured. It is possible to have sustained an injury without knowing it, or an injury that does not show symptoms until later on.
- File your claim in time
- If you wish to file a personal injury claim, you will need to do so by a certain deadline. In New York City, the deadline for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident.
If you or a loved one is involved in a car accident in New York, contact our firm today.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.