Every driver has a legal obligation to operate their vehicle safely and by the rules of the road. If they do not, they can cause serious accidents that have the potential to cause life-changing injuries. It is because of this that victims of accidents due to negligence can pursue legal action to recover compensation for damages incurred in the accident. Continue reading below to learn more about what to do after an accident and contact a New York personal injury attorney for assistance during this time.
What do I do After an Accident?
No matter the type of vehicle you are driving when an accident happens, the same steps should be implemented in the aftermath. The following can help make the most out of the unfortunate situation and help to secure a future claim:
- Call the police even if the other party involved tells you otherwise. The police can keep the scene safe, draft a police report, take witness statements, etc.
- Do not apologize. This can sometimes be seen as admitting fault for your involvement in the accident. Instead, be polite and avoid doing so.
- Take pictures or video of the scene. This can include any broken glass, deployed airbags, skid marks, bloodstains, inclement weather or poor road conditions to be used as evidence later on.
- Write down the contact information of any witnesses to the accident as well as the registration information of all vehicles involved in it.
- Seek medical attention immediately even if you do not feel injured, as symptoms can manifest later on.
Pursuing Legal Action
When an injury is sustained in an auto accident, it can often result in emotional and financial burdens as well as physical. These can lead to costs that are difficult to cover, which is why injured parties can pursue legal action to recover compensation. This is done by filing a personal injury claim in which the injured party is required to prove negligence took place and directly caused the injuries they sustained. Evidence that can back up this claim can include medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or video of the scene, witness statements, a police report, and more.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.