It is important for all vehicles to be careful on the road. This is especially so in the event of commercial trucks, as they are the largest dangerous vehicles on the road. In the event of poor driving or conditions, serious accidents can be caused. For example, according to the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMCSA), winds over 25 miles per hour can detrimentally impact a truck driver’s ability to safely operate the vehicle. Continue reading below to learn more.
What are Causes of Wind-Related Truck Accidents?
When there are high winds while a truck is out on the road, it can increase the chances of an accident occurring rather than if there were no wind. This may be the case in the event of:
- High crosswinds: Strong gusts of wind can make a truck sway or tip over on the road.
- Improperly loaded cargo: Cargo can shift and cause the weight of a truck to be uneven, making it difficult to drive in high winds.
- Failure to take appropriate action for weather conditions: Truck drivers are required to check the weather so they know how to be safe on the road, such as slowing to a safe speed, pulling over until conditions improve, planning an alternative route, etc.
What Types of Accidents are Caused by Strong Winds?
There are a variety of different accidents that can be caused on the road due to high winds. This can include the following:
- Rollover accidents: Strong winds can cause drivers to lose control of the vehicle and roll it over on its side.
- Underride accidents: When truck drivers step on the brakes after facing wind can cause a vehicle behind them to crash and slide underneath the truck.
- Jackknife accidents: When a driver hits the brakes too hard, the truck can fold in on itself and form a 90-degree angle.
- Lost load accidents: Improperly loaded cargo can come loose and fall out of the truck onto the road.
What do I do if I’m Injured in a Truck Accident?
When a truck accident happens, it can cause serious, life-changing injuries. It is because of this that victims may choose to pursue legal action by filing a personal injury claim. If successful, they may recover compensation for any damages. This requires the injured party to prove negligence directly caused their injuries. Evidence that can help do so can include medical documentation of the injuries, pictures or video of the scene, witness testimonies, etc.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.