What is driver negligence and how does it relate to car accidents?
New Jersey drivers must safely operate their vehicles and follow the rules of the road. Driver negligence is a result of drivers that fail this, which can result in car accidents. The most typical kinds of driver negligence include the following:
- Making illegal turns
- Driving recklessly by ignoring traffic lights, signs, and all other rules of the road
- TailgatingTexting and driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while fatigued
- Carelessly changing lanes
What should I do after a car accident?
If you were hurt in a car accident as a result of another’s negligence and you would like to pursue legal action, be sure to do the following after your accident:
- Call 911. The police can send out an ambulance, file an accident report, collect witness testimony, and perform chemical tests.
- Collect contact information from any witnesses to your accident. Witness testimony can be valuable proof for your future claim.
- Take several photos and videos of the damage done to all vehicles involved in the accident.
- Seek medical attention, even if you do not feel injured. In some cases, you may get injured without knowing, or have an injury that does not exhibit symptoms until days or weeks later.
- Retain the services of an experienced New York personal injury attorney. With the help of an attorney, you can go through the claims process with ease.
How long do I have to file a claim for car accidents in New York?
New York personal injury claims are time pressing. If you were injured as a result of another’s negligence in a car accident, you will need to make sure that you file your personal injury claim promptly. The state of New York has a statute of limitations of three years for most personal injury claims. This means that you must file your car accident claim within three years from the date of the accident or else you risk missing the chance to file.
Do not wait to reach out to our firm today. Our experienced legal team to make sure that you have promptly filed your personal injury claim.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.