Motorcycles are dangerous vehicles. They do not provide the protection that more enclosed vehicles may afford. When motorcycle accidents occur, they can have life-altering result. It is important to know how these accidents occur and what to do in the event of an injury. Read on to learn more about motorcycle accidents in New York City.
How do Motorcycle Accidents Occur?
Motorcycle accidents can occur for a number of reasons:
- Faulty motorcycle parts
- Incelement weather conditions
- Bad road conditions (poor visibility, poorly maintained roads, etc.)
But, the majority of accidents are due to the negligence of other drivers on the road. The most common forms of negligence include:
- Excessive speeding
- Distracted driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving while eating/smoking
- Interacting with passengers
- Ignoring signs, lights, and other rules of the road
What do I do in the Event of an Accident?
If you have been injured due to another party’s negligence, you will likely be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to fulfill the burden of proof. This can be done by:
- Calling 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Documenting the scene: Many motorcyclists use bodycams in order to document any accidents that occur. Additionally, you should be sure to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Obtaining witness contacts: If anyone saw your accident occur, they may be able to corroborate your version of events when it comes to a personal injury case.
- Seeking medical attention: If you have been involved in a motorcycle accident, there is a chance you have sustained serious injuries. It is important to go to the hospital to ensure that your injuries are propertly treated. Doing so will also provide you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Filing your claim on time: If you wish to pursue legal action, you will have to do so within a certain amount of time. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In New York, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally 3 years from the date of the accident.
If you have been injured in a motorcycle accident, contact our firm today to speak with a skilled and dedicated attorney.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.