New York City streets are notoriously busy. The roads are shared by cars, pedestrians, bikers, busses, and skaters of all sorts. When so many individuals share the road, accidents are bound to occur. Pedestrian accidents are especially dangerous, as walkers have little to no protection against vehicles and the elements. Read on for more information regarding pedestrian accidents in New York and what to do in the event of an injury.
How do Pedestrian Accidents Occur?
There are a number of ways pedestrian accidents can occur:
Poor Road Conditions
A large cause of accidents is poor road conditions. In this case, you may end up suing a municipality for failing to maintain the roads. Some examples of negligent road conditions include:
- Debris and spills
- Uneven surfaces
- Sidewalk closures
- Roads with obstructed visibility
The majority of pedestrian accidents occur as a result of driver negligence. Some of the most common forms of negligence include:
- Speeding drivers
- Driving without headlights at night or in bad weather
- Drivers that fail to pay attention to crosswalks, streetlights, or stop signs
- Drivers who are under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Both drivers and pedestrians need to be vigilant. Sometimes, pedestrians act negligently. For example:
- Pedestrians who are not paying attention while they walk
- Pedestrians who fail to cross in the crosswalk
- Pedestrians who ignore streetlights
What do I do if I am Injured by Another Party’s Negligence?
If you are injured due to the negligence of another party, you will likely be entitled to recover compensation. In order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to provide proof of negligence. You can do this by:
- Calling 911: The police can send an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Documenting the scene: It is important to take photos and videos at the scene of the accident.
- Seeking medical attention: Going to the hospital will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving the hospital, ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents.
If you or a loved one has been injured in a pedestrian accident in New York City, contact our firm today. We will fight to help you recover the compensation you need and deserve.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.