According to the National Safety Council (NSC), the increase in the rate of 2020 motor vehicle deaths in the U.S. was the largest since 1924. The NSC estimates that 42,060 people have died in U.S. car accidents in 2020. With traffic deaths on the rise, it is important to know what to do in the event of an accident. Read on to learn more about car accidents in New York.
Most Common Causes of Car Accidents
Car accidents can occur for any number of reasons. But, for the most part, these accidents are due to driver negligence. Some of the most common forms of negligence include:
- Driving while drowsy or fatigued
- Texting while driving
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol
- Driving aggressively or recklessly
- Eating or smoking while driving
- Excessively speeding
- Failing to comply with traffic lights, signs, and other rules of the road
What to do After an Accident Occurs
If you are involved in a car accident, there are some important steps to take. If possible, make sure to:
- Call 911
- The police can call an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene
- One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Make sure to document the damage done to all vehicles and property involved.
- Seek medical attention
- You should go to the hospital, even if you do not believe you are seriously injured. It is possible to have sustained an injury without knowing it, or an injury that does not show symptoms until later on. Additionally, this will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries. Before leaving, make sure to ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents and bills.
- File your claim in time
- If you wish to file a personal injury claim, you will need to do so by a certain date. This deadline is known as a statute of limitations. In New York City, the statute of limitations for a personal injury claim is generally three years from the date of the accident.
If you have been involved in a car accident in New York City, you will need to retain the help of an experienced personal injury attorney. Our firm is here to advocate for you and fight to recover the compensation you deserve. Contact us today to speak with a dedicated attorney.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.