Hotel stays are meant to be fun and relaxing. But, it is important to know that hotels are more dangerous than you may realize. If you become injured in a hotel, you may be entitled to recover compensation. Read on to learn more about hotel accidents in New York and what to do if an injury occurs.
What are Common Causes of Hotel Accidents?
Most hotels offer a number of different luxuries to keep their guests happy and entertained. This often includes pools, hot tubs, gyms, spas, restaurants, bars, and more. But, if these amenities are not properly maintained at all times, they can become dangerous for guests, thus threatening their overall safety. Common examples of hotel accidents seen in New York can include:
- Defective furniture
- Food poisoning
- Hot tub accidents
- Inadequate security
- Swimming pool accidents
- Escalator accidents
- Elevator accidents
- Gym equipment accidents
- Unsanitary conditions, such as bed bugs
- Parking lot/garage accidents
It is the job of a hotel owner and the staff that they employ to ensure that their guests have a safe and happy stay. This can be done by conducting routine checks to ensure that everything is in order and that any potential hazards are taken care of. If these checks are not conducted, or the hazards are not fixed immediately, serious accidents can occur. If they fail to do this and an accident occurs as a result, they can be held liable for negligence. Often, hotel guests that sustain an injury due to negligence wish to seek compensation for their suffering by pursuing legal action.
In order to prove that this negligence occurred, you should take the following steps:
- Call 911. The police can file an accident report and call an ambulance.
- Obtain witness contacts. If anyone saw your accident occur, ask for their name and phone number.
- Document the scene. One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos of the hazardous conditions that caused your accident to occur.
- Seek medical attention. It is important that you go to the hospital immediately after your accident. This will ensure that your injuries are treated by a medical professional, while simultaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
If you have been injured in a hotel accident, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.