Car accidents are common occurences in New York. The leading cause of these accidents is texting and driving. In fact, texting and driving has surpassed drunk driving accidents. According to the Federal Communication Commission, texting while driving is six times more likely to cause a car accident than drunk driving. Despire the obvious dangers, many people continue to engage in this behavior, causing life-altering accidents. Read on to learn more about texting and driving accidents in New York.
What do I do if I am Involved in a Car Accident?
If you are involved in a car accident due to another party’s negligence, you may be entitled to compensation. But, in order to recover the compensation you deserve, you will have to prove that this negligence occurred. After an accident, make sure to:
- Call 911
- The police can call you an ambulance, file a report, conduct chemical tests, and more.
- Document the scene
- One of the most important things you can do is take photos and videos at the scene of the accident. Be sure to document any damage done to all cars and property involved.
- Seek medical help
- You should go to the hospital, even if you do not believe you are seriously injured. It is possible to have sustained an injury without knowing it, or an injury that does not show symptoms until later on. This will ensure that you are treated by a medical professional while simaltaneously providing you with proof of the origin and extent of your injuries.
- Contact an experienced attorney
- A skilled attorney may be able to gather evidence you would not otherwise have access to, including cell phone records, security camera footage, police records, and more.
How Long Do I Have to File a Claim?
In order to pursue legal action, you will have to make sure to file your claim on time. This deadline is known as a statute of limiations. In New York, the statute of limiations for a personal injury claim is generally three years. This means that if you fail to file within three years from the date of your accident, you will likely lose your opportunity to recover the compensation you deserve.
If you have been injured due to another driver’s texting and driving, contact our firm today to speak with an experienced and dedicated personal injury attorney.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, bankruptcy, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.