If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, you will need an experienced New York personal injury attorney on your side. Do not hesitate to reach out to our firm today to discuss the specifics of your case and how we can help you obtain the compensation that you deserve.
How do motorcycle accidents occur in New York?
Motorcycle accidents can occur in several different ways. In some cases, they can happen as a result of inclement weather conditions, poorly maintained roads, or faulty mechanical parts. However, more commonly, motorcycle accidents are the result of driver negligence. Some of the most common types of driver negligence that our firm has seen include the following:
- Ignoring blind spots
- Drivers tailing motorcyclists too closely
- Trying to pass motorcyclists on the right
- Driving while sleepy or fatigued
- Unsafely changing lanes
- Disregarding traffic lights, signs, or all other rules and regulations of the road
- Driving while under the influence of drugs or alcohol
Is a motorcyclist covered under personal injury protection in New York?
Unfortunately, in the state of New York, motorcyclists are not covered under personal injury protection. Personal injury protection, otherwise known as PIP, is no-fault insurance that covers medical expenses and lost wages after an auto accident. You will have to pay for your own medical expenses after an accident if it is not covered under PIP, except if you have your own health insurance or are able to collect damages from the person that is liable for your accident.
If you were injured in a motorcycle accident, it is in your best interest to retain the services of a skilled personal injury attorney to ensure that you and your future are protected.
Can I recover compensation after a motorcycle accident?
You will need to satisfy the burden of proof if you were injured in a motorcycle accident and would like to pursue legal action and recover compensation. This suggests that you will need to present as much evidence as possible showing the other party’s negligence. If possible, be sure to take the following steps immediately after your accident:
- Call 911. The police will be able to dispatch an ambulance to the scene, file an accident report, and more.
- Take photos and videos of the scene of the accident, as it can help your case. In some cases, motorcyclists might wear bodycams so that they have the footage in the event that an accident occurs.
- Seek medical attention and ensure that your injuries are properly treated. Ask your doctor for a copy of any relevant medical documents pointing to the severity and origin of your injuries.
- Reach out to an experienced New York personal injury attorney that can help you obtain more evidence that can be key to your claim.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.