If you were injured as a result of another’s negligence, you may want to consider your legal options. The first step to doing this is to meet with one of our skilled Queens personal injury attorneys to discuss your case and options. Continue reading to learn more about how you can prepare for your initial consultation with our firm.
What documents should I bring to my initial consultation with my attorney?
In order to kick start the claims process, it is important to have an initial consultation with an attorney to learn more about your case. In order for you to get the most out of this first appointment, it is important that you bring several documents with you to familiarize your attorney with your case. You should bring the following:
- Evidence of accident, including photos and videos from the accident, witness statements and contact info, etc.
- Medical documents describing the extent and origin of your injuries
- A written interpretation of the events of your accident and subsequent events
- Receipts documenting any medical costs you have incurred
- Statements detailing how much work you have missed, resulting in lost wages and opportunities
- A copy of the police report
- Relevant insurance information– health, car, etc.
- A list of questions to ask your attorney
What will my attorney ask me in my first meeting?
Just as it is important for you to bring questions for your attorney, it is equally important for your attorney to ask you questions too. You should try to be ready to respond to the following questions:
- How have your injuries impacted your everyday life?
- What is your official prognosis according to your doctor?
- Have you ever filed a personal injury claim before?
- Have you given a statement to your insurance company?
- Have you had any correspondence with the other party or their insurance company?
- If so, bring a copy of this correspondence
How long do I have to file a personal injury claim in New York?
In the state of New York, you will have three years from the date of your injury to file a personal injury claim. This deadline is referred to as the statute of limitations. In the event that you miss this deadline, you may lose your chance to receive compensation, so it is critical to act fast if you want to take legal action and retrieve the compensation you deserve.
If you are considering pursuing legal action, do not wait to reach out to The Law Offices of George Poulos today.
Contact our Firm
The Law Offices of George Poulos is an experienced Workers’ Compensation, personal injury, and Social Security Disability law firm with offices in Queens and the Bronx. We understand the implications of a serious accident, which is why we take pride in tenaciously representing our clients. If you require strong legal representation, contact our firm today to schedule a free consultation.